Back to Blog

You’ve been convicted of a DUI and have an install an ignition interlock device (IID) installed in your car. You visit your family in another state, one of your relatives asks you to drive them to the store. He hands you his car keys, and you happily accept. You may think that the interlock rules don’t apply there.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the case. The simple answer to the question “Can I drive without an interlock in another state?” is no. If you get pulled over in another state with a restricted license and no interlock, you’ll be legally liable in both states. You must face penalties in your state and the state you’re visiting for any driving or interlock violations. Below, we offer a basic explanation as to why.

What Is the Interstate Driver’s License Compact?

The IDLC is an agreement most states and the District of Columbia have signed on to. Only four states (Georgia, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin) haven’t signed on to the IDLC. Under the compact, member states share DUI arrest and conviction information. This is the mechanism that allows DUI data in one state to be transmitted to another state.

Essentially, you need an ignition interlock in the state in which you were convicted and in your new state, as well. If your driving privileges are suspended in one state, they are suspended in most states. If you’re caught violating interlock laws, you’ll face an extended suspension period. If you move, then your new state will place the same restrictions on your license. You’ll also need to notify the courts, the DMV in your current state, and your interlock provider that you are moving.

If your provider has no locations in the new state, you’ll need to have your device removed and a new one installed. In the meantime, you may have to move your car by flatbed or have it driven by another person to your new home.

In some cases, the offense you committed in your original state isn’t transferable to your new one. Alternatively, the offense may come under a different category. In any case, if you’re pulled over in another state, you’re likely to face a lengthened license suspension or worse. Driving without an interlock is a violation and may also result in fines and possible jail time. So, be sure to drive your own car when you move unless your restricted interlock license doesn’t allow you to cross state lines.

Can I Drive Without an Interlock in Another State to Rent a Car?

Most rental companies will not rent to someone who has a restricted license, and they won’t rent to you without seeing your license first. Not disclosing it could open you up to fraud allegations, as well. You should also avoid driving after having your spouse rent the car. If you have a DUI conviction, it’s best for your spouse or the person you are traveling to do all the driving and be the only driver on the rental agreement.

In addition, rental companies generally don’t have cars with ignition interlock devices you can rent. The best option is to travel with someone who doesn’t have a license restriction. The overall answer to “Can I drive without an interlock in another state?” is no. There are really no exceptions, so your best bet is to take your interlock-equipped vehicle with you. Otherwise, have somebody else do the driving.

If you have been convicted of a DUI and need to get an ignition interlock installed, you can trust RoadGuard Interlock to help. We know you have a choice of ignition interlock providers. We will make the installation process as quick and painless as possible. Visit our website to find a location or contact us at 1-833-545-0368 to find out how we can get you back on the road safely and efficiently.

*Links to any third-party websites herein are provided for your reference and convenience only. RoadGuard Interlock did not create nor develop and does not own any such third-party websites. RoadGuard Interlock does not endorse nor support the content of, nor any opinions stated in any such third-party website links. RoadGuard Interlock is not responsible for the content of any third-party website or its accuracy or reliability. Nothing contained in this article or any such third-party website shall be considered legal advice or be deemed to constitute legal advice. For any legal advice concerning a DUI arrest, charge, conviction, or consequences thereof, you should contact an attorney of your choice.