Ignition Interlock Device Laws

  • Wisconsin Ignition interlock device laws require some OWI offenders to install an interlock device on any vehicle that they drive as a condition of reinstated driving privileges.
  • Any first-time offender whose BAC was .15% or higher at the time of arrest must install an interlock device.
  • Second and subsequent offenses automatically trigger the ignition interlock requirement.
  • Drivers who refuse to take a BAC test at the time of arrest will also be required to install an ignition interlock device

License Suspension

In Wisconsin, any driver who is caught operating a vehicle with a BAC of .08% or higher is subject to an Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) charge. Anyone convicted of OWI faces license suspension and fines.

OWI Penalties and Fees in Wisconsin

1st Offense Fine: $150 to $300
Jail Time: None
Period of License Suspension: 6 to 9 months
2nd Offense Fine: $300 to $1,100
Jail Time: 5 days to 6 months
Period of License Suspension: 12 to 18 months
3rd Offense Fine: $600 to $2,000
Jail Time: 30 days to 1 year
Period of License Suspension: 2 to 3 years
4th Offense Fine: $600 to $2,000
Jail Time: 60 days to 1 year
Period of License Suspension: 2 to 3 years

Get Your Suspended Drivers License Reinstated

Our goal is to get you back to the road safely and legally, here’s how to get your license back

Schedule Install Wisconsin License Reinstatement

Source(s): Wis. Stat. §§ 346.63, 343.301
Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Retrieved April 17, 2017 from http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/safety/education/drunk-drv/owipenaltychart.pdf

Last Updated: November 21, 2023

This information was obtained from third party sites and is for informational purposes only. Although RoadGuard attempts to keep in the information up to date, it is provided "as-is" and RoadGuard disclaims all warranties, express and implied, including but not limited to its accuracy and completeness. Any reliance on this information is at your sole risk. The information is not intended as legal advice and should not be relied on as such. If you need advice concerning the State’s requirements or your personal obligations please consult with your monitoring authority, attorney or local court.